Saturday, September 2, 2017

Home again

In hindsight this was not what I had expected at all.
I got very sick. Two weeks of half life. Lost weight lost strength lost balance in fact I got old !
I soon realised I was not really strong enough to ride a 200kg bike.
The smart idea was buy a car and that got to be a challenge so while I was recovering and looking I should try to rehabilitate. My new knee is a failure. Uncomfortable not working well and interrupting sleep. My health was in the dumps so the remedy was to start walking
My great Grandfather was a walker before moving to the "colonies".  I had read part of his diary which I would love to see again but I felt sure he would have walked the South Downs Way so I started.
Not what I had hoped for an apparent legendary right of way. Neglected overgrown muddy poorly signed and overall a major disappointment but I like a challenge and probably chalked up over 60 miles of the 100 total distance but also chalked up another 100 in other routes round Kent and Sussex.
So not by any means all bad. Some of it was inspiring. Some of the people wonderful and I hope to meet again and some walks were uplifting.
And my health improved fortunately. And my love of the Bike returned. I will find a car for the future but I will also find rides that I can enjoy before I hang up the helmet.
So 2017 was a success. I will become a walker as much as a rider. I will look to walk again in the UZ and then to explore EU assuming they let me.  And finally I am so grateful to the people, Michael and  Gordon and some kind Air BnB hosts (there are some despite the ABnB system being tragically flawed), and some walkers along the ways I traversed, the people to whom I just walked and talked to who after the initial surprise shared some lovely stories. Fellow drinkers and diners which were numerous and again after the initial "who is this"  shared stories and made my trip more memorable.
Finally to BMW sort out your business. It is to care for our bikes, and the great flaw in on line commerce is not a model to pursue where every customer can be monetarised. Fitting new tyres and ignoring a fault light is not a service. Misinterpreting instructions in writing is not service it is immoral and BMW should take a look before they destroy their trust.
That was my experience maybe it is the new financial model ?
Au Revior, Adios, and hooray for 2017.






No comments: